At Sirius College, each individual student is encouraged to be aspirational in constructing their career ambitions. Participation in lifelong learning that supports this is facilitated via a range of programs, under the guidance of the Career Development Department.
Career development is “The lifelong process of managing learning, work, leisure and transitions in order to move towards a personally determined and evolving future” (Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners, 2011). It applies to children when they think about what they want to do as adults and start to form ideas about work and adult life during their early childhood development. It also applies to adolescents when they make decisions about subjects and a course of study, juggle school, part-time work, family and social interests.
The Career Development Department adheres to the code of ethics of the Career Education Association of Victoria and is building a comprehensive career development program that supports both students and their families from Years 7-12 and beyond.
Some aspects of the service offered to our community include:
- A dedicated Career Development website: www.siriuscollegecareers.com
- Dedicated Career Development spaces at our Eastmeadows and Meadow Fair campuses.
- Regular information and opportunity updates for all secondary students via a weekly Career Development newsletter as well as notices in ‘SEQTA Learn’ (students) & ‘SEQTA Engage’ (parents).
- Individual & group career counseling.
- Work experience opportunities in Year 10 & 11.
- Occupation research skills.
- Job application and interview resources & preparation, including ‘Master classes’ for students.
- Career expos (hosting & external expo attendance).
- Guest speakers from industry and the education/training sectors.
- Subject selection assistance in Years 10-12.
- VTAC and tertiary application assistance.
- Visits to tertiary institutes & attendance at career development-related events (eg. Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix ‘Driving Learning’ day).
- Life and career management skills.
- Study camp workshops.
- Career Development workshops for parents.
The offerings of the department are based on five simple statements, known as the ‘High Five Principles’ of Career Development:
- Change is constant – embrace it
- Learning is ongoing
- Focus on the journey
- Know yourself, believe in yourself and follow your heart
- Access your allies.
The Career Development Department’s trained staff offers these initiatives & opportunities to help students discover their potential, explore their career interests, link their learning to future achievement & ultimately assist them to create a flourishing & successful adult life.
Sirius College is proud to offer these services and more in years to come, as another way to assist the community the college serves.
Click the button below for more information: